Trailer for 'Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie' brings life to a childhood favorite

I may not remember much about them now, but I read plenty of the Captain Underpants books as a kid. The series by Dav Pilkey was the kind of juvenile, creative nonsense that elementary school kids ate up, and if you asked people from my generation, I'm sure that at least 80% would recall the wacky, gross-out adventures of Captain Underpants. It's a weird thing to count as a cultural touchstone, but it's why I'm expecting The First Epic Movie to be a sizable hit this summer. Sure, parents will take the kids to see it, but you're gonna get a massive crowd of people from age 16 to 25 heading to the theater to see this film. After years of waiting, Dreamworks is finally getting around to delivering the Captain Underpants film that fans have been clamoring (?) for. With a cast led by Kevin Hart, Ed Helms, Thomas Middleditch, Jordan Peele, and Nick Kroll, there's plenty of reason to believe that this may be a delightful summer surprise. Late last week, Dreamworks released the trailer, which will presumably play with The Boss Baby starting on Friday. Check it out below!


This truly looks like a ton of fun, and I absolutely love the animation style on display here. Captain Underpants looks to have an appropriate amount of comedic and visual lunacy, and the bright, bubbly animation is right up my alley. The action looks terrifically kooky, the character design is nothing short of perfect, and I'm really loving the energy of the project. Sure, it's a little weird that Kevin Hart doesn't sound anything like a grade school kid, but I'm willing to overlook that. While there's nothing I love more than a truly great Pixar film filled with heart and soul, there's also plenty of room for films like Captain Underpants that aim to capture the spirit of old-school Saturday morning cartoons. This appears to be an inspired mix of Looney Tunes and that Popeye movie that fell through a few years ago, and for that reason, I could not be more excited. Two superhero movies will arrive in theaters on June 2, and while I'm certainly hoping for the best for Wonder Woman, there's a good chance that I'll be just a little more interested in checking out Captain Underpants. I'm ready for a childhood blast to the past.


Image Credit: IMDB/Fox

Comments