Second trailer for Marvel's 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' ramps up the action

It's a big year for Marvel, as this is the first time that the studio has released three films in one year. Granted, one of those is a Sony co-production, but this is still uncharted territory for the Disney-backed studio. And while May's Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2 (tickets on sale now!) is still mostly a solo adventure, the latter two films on Marvel's 2017 slate could be indicative of the future direction of the company after the epic extravaganza of Avengers: Infinity War. November's Thor: Ragnarok will see Chris Hemsworth's Norse god teaming up with Mark Ruffalo's Incredible Hulk and Benedict Cumberbatch's Doctor Strange, finding our three heroes on a wacky, intergalactic journey from the mind of Hunt for the Wilderpeople director Taika Waititi. Before that film rocks into theaters, Spider-Man: Homecoming will serve as the web-slinger's solo MCU debut, but Tom Holland's Peter Parker will have a little bit of help from Robert Downey Jr.'s Iron Man. While characters like Scarlett Johannsson's Black Widow and Samuel L. Jackson's Nick Fury have appeared in solo projects before, the idea of a team-up movie is a relatively new one for Marvel. And while I'm quite excited for Ragnarok, I have more than a few reservations about Homecoming. Earlier today, Sony released the second trailer for the film, hoping to increase anticipation for what will surely be one of the summer's biggest films. Check it out below!


I don't know. I just don't know.

I've been vocal about the fact that Batman is my favorite superhero, but Spider-Man runs a close second. He's at least my favorite hero in the Marvel universe. That being said, I'm really struggling to get all that excited for Homecoming. Sure, when push comes to shove on July 6th at 7:00 PM, I'll probably be pretty pumped to see what director Jon Watts and Kevin Feige have up their sleeves. But until then, I'm going to maintain a healthy dose of skepticism and there's not a damn thing anyone can do to change my mind. My primary concern lies in the fact that there's a good chance that the presence of Downey will overshadow the entire project, and that's something that I don't really want from a Spider-Man movie. The web-slinger is one of the more iconic characters in pop culture, and although people gave them a lot of flack for it, Sony had the right idea with giving the hero his own cinematic universe. It was incredible to see Peter Parker fighting alongside Iron Man in Captain America: Civil War, but I really just want to see a good solo Spidey film. We'll get more of the team-up stuff in Infinity War- for now, can't we just give Spider-Man our full attention?

Other than that, the movie looks solid enough. There are plenty of great actors, the vibe is bright and cheery, and I still dig the high school setting. The first trailer was certainly better, but for casual fans, I don't think that will really matter. Homecoming will still rake in a ton of money this summer, and if there's any lesson that I've learned over the last several years, it's that we should always trust Marvel. Here's hoping for the best.

Spider-Man: Homecoming will swing into theaters on July 7.


Image courtesy of Sony Pictures

Comments