New trailer for 'Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales' is surprisingly fun

The Pirates of the Caribbean franchise has been a part of my personal pop culture consciousness ever since I was a young kid, and it's a series that brings up mixed memories. My parents adored Curse of the Black Pearl and shared it with me when I was old enough, but opinion in my family was split on Dead Man's Chest, the blockbuster sequel. I personally liked the film, but by the time At World's End rolled around in 2007, director Gore Verbinski and Johnny Depp had lost my interest entirely. A loopy, confusing, mind-numbingly long epic, At World's End just didn't work. Disney waited four years before making a fourth installment, and unfortunately, it wasn't worth the wait. Despite the addition of Penelope Cruz and Ian McShane, 2011's On Stranger Tides was unquestionably the worst of the franchise, and I was really hoping that Disney would just let the whole thing die. Of course, that was never going to happen- as long as there was more money on the table for all involved, a fifth installment wouldn't be too far behind. After a five-year hiatus, Captain Jack is returning to the big screen in Dead Men Tell No Tales, a new adventure from Kon-Tiki directors Joachim Ronning and Espen Sandberg. On the surface, this is a total cash grab. But somehow, this trailer managed to convince me otherwise. Check it out below!


I thought my interest in the Pirates franchise died in 2011, but this trailer managed to ever so slightly pique my interest. While Dead Men Tell No Tales is still not even close to being one of my most anticipated films of the trailer, I'm no longer convinced that this will be a total disaster. The addition of Javier Bardem as Captain Salazar is an inspired touch, while Brenton Thwaites and Kaya Scoledario appear to have a good deal of chemistry. Throw Depp, Geoffrey Rush, and Orlando Bloom into the mix, and you've got yourself quite a cast. The visuals on display are fairly impressive as well, but after a gloomy and sluggish fourth installment, what appeals to me most is the fast-paced, gleefully ridiculous nature of this trailer. Dead Men Tell No Tales looks like a swashbuckling return to form for Captain Jack and the crew, and if this really is the final installment as advertised, there's a good chance that the Pirates series will be going out on top.

Dead Men Tell No Tales opens on May 26.


Image Credit: IMDB

Comments