Creepy trailer for 'It' unveils new adaptation of Stephen King's classic

If I'm being honest, I don't read many books these days. I just don't have much time, and in between school, work, screenings, and sleep, I don't have the energy or desire to get invested in a long read. This has pretty much been the case since my freshman year of high school, but if there's one author that I'm willing to make an exception for, it's Stephen King. I absolutely devoured King's 11/22/63 in middle school, and I've started to read some of his other popular works over time. The horror maestro is about to experience a massive surge in popularity, thanks to two highly anticipated adaptations of his most famous works. The Dark Tower, with a cast led by Matthew McConaughey and Idris Elba, is set to hit theaters on July 28 (with no trailer, that date is seeming more and more unlikely), as Sony hopes to create a new franchise from King's very popular series of novels. Personally, I'm more excited for the second King adaptation of 2017- Warner Bros. and New Line's re-imagining of It. King's horror epic has had an incredibly rocky road to the big screen, with director Cary Fukunaga working on the project for several years before director Andres Muschietti took the helm. After finally getting the film into production, WB has now released the first trailer. Check it out below!


I'm not familiar with the novel, but I'm quite excited about the potential for a two-part, large-scale horror masterpiece. It is reported to only be Part 1 of the story, which will follow the Losers' Club and their first encounter with Bill Skarsgard's Pennywise in the 1980s. If all goes well at the box office, Part 2 will follow the adult version of these characters as they face their demons in the modern day. I love the idea of ambitious horror projects, which makes the failure of films like A Cure for Wellness all the more disappointing. However, considering the popularity of the source material and the strength of this trailer (which immediately went viral), I'm guessing that It will be a fairly monumental success. This is an excellent piece of studio marketing, one that conveys a sense of mystery and intrigue while also scaring the hell out of you. It feels like a scarier, bloodier mix of Stranger Things and Super 8, which is something that is right up my alley. The design of Pennywise is genuinely intimidating and there are some masterful shots in this trailer. All in all, I'm sold. This looks like a macabre, delightfully creepy horror film, and I can't wait to see more.

It will begin to scare audiences on September 8.


Image Credit: IMDB/WB

Comments