'Spider-Man: Homecoming' trailer is a delightful, action-packed blast

This week, Lucasfilm's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story will crash into theaters, giving us the final burst of blockbuster fun for the year (sure, Passengers and Assassin's Creed come out next week, but I'm not expecting much there). 2016 has seen a wide range of big-budget action movies, and to be quite honest, most of them have been disappointing. There were really only three great blockbusters this year- Deadpool, Star Trek Beyond, and Captain America: Civil War. I have extremely high hopes for Rogue One, but as of now, Civil War is undoubtedly the best of the year from a popcorn movie perspective. The latest movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe found Robert Downey Jr.'s Iron Man and Chris Evans' Captain America in a world class smackdown, which brought a ton of other Avengers into the fray and split the group forever. Civil War also doubled as the introduction of the latest iteration of Spider-Man, played by Tom Holland. After Sony's "failed" 2012 reboot, the company agreed to partner with Marvel on future Spidey flicks, the first of which will be next year's Spider-Man: Homecoming. From director Jon Watts, Homecoming will take the web-slinger back to his high school roots, giving us a distinct John Hughes vibe. Last week, the first trailer premiered on Jimmy Kimmel Live- check it out below!


I'm in a weird spot with this new generation of Spider-Man films. One of the first franchises that had a large impact on my cinematic life was Sam Raimi's original Spider-Man trilogy, which was led by Tobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst, and James Franco. That trilogy holds a special place in my heart, and it has always been hard for me to imagine another rendition of Spider-Man topping the one that Maguire and Raimi created. There were things I liked in Marc Webb's The Amazing Spider-Man franchise, particularly the romantic comedy aspects between Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone, but Sony ultimately botched that one with the misguided sequel. As excited as I am to see Spidey back in Marvel's hands, and as cool as it was to see him fight alongside the Avengers, I'm still quite skeptical about Spider-Man: Homecoming. Sure, this is a really great trailer, and I geeked out a bit when I saw the web-slinger and Iron Man fly into action. The high school setting is fun, and the idea of a comic book movie in the vein of John Hughes is novel. But I still don't know how I feel about another reboot and another standalone solo adventure for this character. Because while Kevin Feige and Watts have been adamant that this isn't an origin story, I'm sure that some elements are going to seep into this film.

I'm also not quite keen on the idea of Spider-Man being just another cog in the Marvel machine. Peter Parker almost has a universe all to himself, with a great cast of supporting characters and a group of villains that are nothing short of iconic. With that in mind, it's tough for me to accept that Spidey is simply part of a greater whole now. I love the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but things are beginning to pop up that I'm uneasy about. Don't get me wrong, this is a great trailer for what looks like an exceptionally fun movie. But in all honesty, I won't be sold on this one until the credits roll. As a big fan of the character, I'm enthused by what I'm seeing here, but that healthy dose of skepticism still remains.

Spider-Man: Homecoming will swing into theaters on July 8, 2017.

Image Credit: Marvel

Comments