Dazzling new trailer premieres for Disney's 'Beauty and the Beast'

Disney has had a spectacular run in recent years with their live-action adaptations of classic animated films, and they're going to keep this train rolling until the money stops coming in. They've practically been printing cash with films like Cinderella, The Jungle Book, and Maleficent, and next year, they're shooting for the stars with their live-action re-imagining of Beauty and the Beast. The 1991 animated film is one of the most beloved films in the Disney canon, an iconic story that became the very first animated feature to be nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars. A big-budget version is a box office no-brainer, and Disney has steadily built anticipation over the last few years with some of the most spot-on casting decisions in recent memory. Emma Watson is probably the perfect fit to play Belle, the gorgeous heroine of the story, and the supporting crew is excellent as well. Ewan McGregor, Ian McKellen, Dan Stevens, Josh Gad- the list goes on and on. I must admit, I haven't been overly impressed with any of Disney's live-action movies so far, as even critically acclaimed titles like Pete's Dragon and The Jungle Book were disappointments to me. But I have very, very high hopes for Beauty and the Beast. Check out the first full trailer below!


If I had to pick a favorite Disney princess movie, it would be Beauty and the Beast. No questions asked. It's one of those timeless classics, and the story holds a special place in my heart considering that I acted in an adaptation of it in middle school (I played Maurice, Belle's father). So from the moment that this film was announced, I was in. Since that announcement, a few things have caused my skepticism levels to grow. I don't exactly like the horns on the Beast, I'm not entirely convinced by the animation of the dishes and other castle objects, and I can't explain why director Bill Condon felt that Ewan McGregor was the best choice to play the French candlestick Lumiere. However, beyond those minor quibbles, I'm very encouraged by what we've seen from Beauty and the Beast so far. It looks like a remarkably faithful adaptation of the animated film, but with an added element of theatricality and an epic scope that the original couldn't convey. This is just an excellently crafted trailer, and judging by the sheer number of views (it broke the record for most trailer views in a 24 hour period), audiences are responding very well. Simply put, this looks visually dazzling and it is undoubtedly going to make so much money next year. Frankly, if you weren't convinced by the opening musical notes of this trailer, I don't know what's going to get you pumped for this one. Consider me excited.

Beauty and the Beast opens in theaters on March 17, 2017.


Image Credit: Screen Rant

Comments