DC takes Comic-Con by storm with exciting trailers for 'Justice League' and 'Wonder Woman'

Even though I enjoyed it (along with many other DC/superhero fans), Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice was, frankly, a disaster for Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment. Reviews were awful, audiences thought the film was a ho-hum disappointment, and the box office legs were pretty atrocious. As it became clear that the movie-going public wasn't taking kindly to Zack Snyder's grim and brutal vision of Batman and Superman, Warner Bros. immediately went into damage control mode. They invited several journalists to the set of Justice League in the hope of convincing film critics that things would be different this time around. However, even if they managed to get some of the media on their side, the studio still needed to convince the fans. Enter San Diego Comic-Con. Stakes are always big for studios at the convention, but for DC, they were simply monumental. 

Thankfully for them, I'd say that the panel was a major success. They premiered three new trailers (one for Suicide Squad, which I won't discuss here since the release is so close) and gave audiences around the world a first look at two of their most hotly anticipated films- Wonder Woman and Justice League. Check out the Comic-Con trailer for Wonder Woman below!




Coming from someone who was previously unconvinced that this film would work, this trailer is absolutely brilliant. Granted, I've been burned by DC trailers before, but good lord, Wonder Woman looks magnificent. Now, I wasn't a huge fan of Gal Gadot's performance as Diana Prince in Batman v Superman. I thought the character was shoe-horned in, and despite some okay action beats, I wasn't overly impressed by her film debut. In the course of a 3 minute trailer, Warner Bros. managed to totally convince me that this rendition of Wonder Woman could be epic and topical. I love the big period action beats, but most of all, I love the touches of humor and power in the dialogue. The line "What I do isn't up to you," is such an awesome feminist movement, and I can't wait to see how this story plays out on the big screen. When I heard that awesome Junkie XL score kick in, my face lit up like Christmas. This looks like it could be really be something special. 

Next up, Warner Bros. premiered the trailer for Justice League. Here it is!




There's still a long way to go. Justice League won't hit theaters until November 2017, and I don't believe they're even done filming yet. This was just a very early peek for the fans. Nothing more than that. I wasn't a huge fan of the footage that they revealed, but it is a decently trailer that highlights how they've changed things since Batman v Superman. Ezra Miller's Flash brings some touches of humor, and from that perspective, I like where they're going. Nonetheless, the color palette is incredibly muted and generic, and to be honest, this doesn't feel like a Snyder film at all. Maybe that'll end up being a good thing, but for now, I just can't tell. Hopefully we'll see more from Justice League in the near future. 

Wonder Woman is directed by Patty Jenkins, stars Gal Gadot, Chris Pine, Robin Wright, Connie Nielsen, David Thewlis, Elena Anaya, and Danny Huston, and will hit theaters on June 2, 2017.

Justice League is directed by Zack Snyder, stars Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill, Gal Gadot, Ezra Miller, Jason Momoa, Ray Fisher, Amy Adams, Amber Heard, Jesse Eisenberg, Jeremy Irons, Willem Dafoe, and J.K. Simmons, and will hit theaters on November 17, 2017. 





Image Credit: Joblo

Comments