Second trailer for Justin Lin's 'Star Trek Beyond' astonishes fans

It's safe to say that Star Trek Beyond did not get off on the right foot with fans. When the first trailer for the third installment in the rebooted series debuted in December, there was an immediate outcry from Trekkies and even casual fans. Set to "Sabotage" by The Beastie Boys, the action-heavy teaser trailer seemed to eschew traditional Trek material in favor of a Fast and Furious vibe, made worse by the fact that Beyond director Justin Lin is a long-time player in that franchise. Many wrote off the film right away, especially after a large segment of the fans were alienated by J.J. Abrams' previous efforts in the new franchise (notably 2013's Star Trek Into Darkness, which at one point, was voted as the worst Star Trek film). For some reason, Paramount waited six months to do damage control, and after allowing the awful teaser to play in front of countless films, the studio is finally releasing the full trailer for Justin Lin's film. The trailer for Beyond debuted at a Star Trek fan event to a rather strong reaction. Check it out below!


I've always been a Star Wars fan. Just like Abrams, I never really watched Star Trek as a kid, and even now, I struggle to get hooked on the old series. However, when Star Trek came out in 2009, I thought it was a blast. I really loved that movie and couldn't wait for a sequel. When Star Trek Into Darkness dropped, I was initially disappointed, but later came to appreciate the pure spectacle and character work that flows throughout that movie. I've been cautiously excited for Star Trek Beyond, but by no means was I sold. After this trailer, I'm feeling slightly better. This looks like the mix of sci-fi action, character drama, and comic relief that this franchise thrives on, and with Lin's eye for action, this could ultimately be one of the most beautiful entries into the Trek series. The plot still seems heavily guarded, which gives me some pause, but with Simon Pegg on screenplay duty, I must say that my faith is pretty high. All in all, this trailer was a huge bounceback. I'm still worried about the film's box office potential, but as long as Star Trek Beyond delivers, I'm all in.

Star Trek Beyond stars Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, John Cho, Anton Yelchin, Karl Urban, Simon Pegg, Idris Elba, and Sofia Boutella, and will hit theaters on July 22.


Image Credits: Screen Rant

Comments