First trailer for Disney's 'Pete's Dragon' is a magnificent tease

I still haven't figured out if I'm gonna get sick of talking about all of these new Disney live-action remakes/reboots/sequels. As I sat down today and looked at all of the articles that needed to be written, I saw that I had yet to talk about the Pete's Dragon trailer. "Huh. I thought I did that one," I said to myself. Then I remembered that I had actually written about a different Disney movie, the Mary Poppins sequel, and had merely mentioned Pete's Dragon in the article. So yeah. There are a lot of moving parts in the Disney universe right now. And this is without even mentioning The Jungle Book, which just got a huge plug over at Birth. Movies. Death earlier today. I feel like I'm going to be writing about live-action Disney movies as much as Marvel or Star Wars at this point. But if they all look as good as Pete's Dragon does, I don't think I'll have too much of a problem with it. The first teaser was released at Disney's Soulless Corporate Marketing Event, also known as the the Disneyland Diamond Anniversary TV Special. Take a look at the trailer for the upcoming film below!


Now, this is just a teaser trailer, so it doesn't show much in terms of character or story. And yet, I found myself mesmerized by this tease. Before last weekend, I could have cared less about a Pete's Dragon live-action remake. I never watched the original animated film, and I must say, it's not exactly high on my priority list. However, something is very striking about this new film. The cast, led by Bryce Dallas Howard, Robert Redford, Karl Urban and Wes Bentley, is quite enticing, and it's also interesting that Disney picked David Lowery, best known for the indie film Ain't Them Bodies Saints, to helm the project. But even avoiding those basic elements, there is just a vibe to the first trailer for Pete's Dragon that is magical. Set in the 1980s, this almost feels Spielbergian in tone and I love the way that it seems to be blending these different elements of whimsy and thematic intensity. It's a great piece of marketing, simply because I suddenly found myself very excited for a film that I had absolutely zero interest in. Pete's Dragon arrives on August 12. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this one.


Image Credits: Joblo

Comments