Trailer for 'Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising' promises raunchy sequel

If you read this blog even occasionally, you probably know that I'm a very big fan of Nicholas Stoller's 2014 comedy Neighbors. When I first saw the film, I thought that it was a true breath of fresh air in the comedic world- the movie just goes for it and is absolutely wild in its raunchiness. The film made terrific use of Seth Rogen, Zac Efron, Rose Byrne and Dave Franco, and some of the party scenes are all-timers. Neighbors was my #9 film of 2014 and I maintain my view that it's a modern comedy classic, an Animal House for a new generation. With a strong critical reception and box office receipts that resulted in Rogen's biggest hit yet, there was no doubt that a sequel to the smash hit was in the cards. But how do you follow up the original film? The ending of Neighbors is pretty finite and there didn't seem to be anywhere to go with the concept. And with comedy sequels having the dubious reputation of being trainwrecks, there is still a lot of nervousness surrounding Neighbors 2, now titled Sorority Rising. The first trailer, released by Universal earlier today, hopes to put some of those fears to rest. Check it out below.


I've watched the trailer quite a few times now, and I'd say that I'm pretty excited for the sequel. Sure, there's still a little bit of me that maintains the concern that it'll just basically be the same thing as the original, but there looks to be enough wild gags that will change the way that the film plays out. I love how they're bringing Zac Efron's Teddy back into the mix, and the additions of Selena Gomez, Chloe Grace Moretz and Kiersey Clemons are inspired bits of casting. However, there was one thing that I was thinking- Gomez has been known her whole career for playing pure, innocent characters, while Moretz is more famous for being the hard-edged, Kick-Ass type. Wouldn't it have been more fun to have their roles switch in this flick? Random note, but just a thought. Other than that, this looks like another very fun adventure in the world of Mac and Kelly Radner with all the craziness you'd expect from a Rogen movie. Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising stars Seth Rogen, Rose Byrne, Zac Efron, Dave Franco, Chloe Grace Moretz, Selena Gomez, Ike Barinholtz, Kiersey Clemons, Carla Gallo and Lisa Kudrow and will debut on May 20, 2016.

Comments