'The Nice Guys' red band trailer is simply awesome

Going into a new year of movies, there are always a few films that usually fit on everybody's list. For next year, some of those films include Deadpool, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (although that might be a slightly more controversial pick after the latest fiasco of a trailer), Captain America: Civil War, X-Men: Apocalypse, Finding Dory, Star Trek Beyond, Suicide Squad, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and Rogue One. And while sometimes those movies end up being fantastic, there are many times where smaller films that come out of nowhere end up being much more enjoyable. I've been intrigued by Shane Black's The Nice Guys since I first read the synopsis, but I had no clue as to what the tone or style of the movie would be. That's what made last Friday's red band trailer release such a pleasant surprise. Before I say any more, check out this phenomenal trailer.

Do you ever get the sense that a movie was made for you? Yeah, that's the sense I got when I watched the trailer for The Nice Guys. Combining the acting talents of Ryan Gosling and Russell Crowe for an action comedy that looks equally bizarre, funny and brutally violent, Shane Black's latest film could be the latest L.A. classic. In many ways, this looks like the film that I wanted Inherent Vice to be- hip, funny and weird, but it appears to be a bit more cohesive. There's so much that I want to unpack in this trailer and there's so much that I love that I don't even know where to start. For one, Gosling and Crowe seem to have some truly astounding chemistry and the dialogue is pretty impressive so far. There are some sight gags in this trailer that work brilliantly as well, including the bathroom stall scene with Gosling and the exploding body shot. The Tarantino-esque tone, the visual overload of gritty noir style, the quips between the actors- everything here looks so freaking perfect. The best thing I can say about The Nice Guys is that it looks like a mix between L.A. Confidential and a buddy cop comedy. And for an L.A. movie nerd like me, it doesn't get any better than that. Consider this one of my most anticipated films of 2015, if not my most anticipated.

The Nice Guys stars Ryan Gosling, Russell Crowe, Matt Bomer, Kim Basinger, Margaret Qualley, Ty Simpkins, Keith David and Jack Kilmer and hits theaters on May 20, 2016.


Image Credits: Screen Rant

Comments