'Suicide Squad' drops first trailer after Comic-Con leaks

Leaks at Comic-Con are considered a problem, but in my opinion, there's no reason for them to be a huge problem. Piracy is bad. We all get it. Piracy of films has caused problems and has resulted in the loss of billions of dollars in worldwide revenue. I do not pirate films myself and I do not advocate for piracy among my friends and family. However, the over-dramatic handling of Comic-Con TRAILER leaks is becoming a problem. During the weekend panels, the footage revealed for Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Star Wars: The Force Awakens was released immediately online in the aftermath of the SDCC panel. On the flip side, films like Deadpool, X-Men: Apocalypse and most prominently, Suicide Squad, revealed footage exclusively to fans at SDCC and did not post trailers online after the panels. Of course, those panels were pirated and fans all across the globe discussed, dissected and enjoyed the crappy, shoddily filmed footage. This sparked a lot of outrage from Hollywood studios and many industry trades began to speculate that studios may stop showing early trailers entirely. And that's just ridiculous. It's free promotion. Why would you not want free promotion? You have to go into these Comic-Con trailers expecting that someone will leak the footage if you don't post it and you must plan accordingly. I find the whole hubbub to be quite ridiculous, but enough about the controversy- the first trailer for Suicide Squad hit the web! After leaks and much fan speculation, Warner Bros. posted the teaser along with a statement damning the leakers and expressing the studio's disappointment with the whole deal. Check out the trailer for yourself below:


My skepticism towards this movie has been pretty extreme since the first materials hit for the film. I liked the look of the Joker despite some concerns, but I thought that the first cast photo looked absolutely horrendous. This trailer definitely wiped away many of those concerns. David Ayer appears to have crafted a chilling, intense superhero film. This footage was gritty, it was haunting, it seemed real. Margot Robbie and Jared Leto look fantastic and there was something very simple, but terrifying about Leto's Joker. The line was delivered brilliantly, yet I think it was truly the character design- the crazy tattoos and the simplicity of the rubber gloves. I was unsettled and I can't wait to see more of this character. All in all, Warner Bros. crushed this one. I can't wait to see what Suicide Squad has to offer on August 5, 2016.

Comments