'Black Mass' trailer highlights Johnny Depp's chilling performance in Whitey Bulger biopic

Something about gangster movies has always been magical to me. I remember sitting in a hotel lobby watching the TV version of Scarface and being completely engrossed by the story. I was thirteen at the time and probably too young to be watching even the sanitized version of that film, but I didn't care. I later caught bits and pieces of Goodfellas and The Departed on network television, and I recall being in a total state of shock and awe over those films. When I turned fourteen, my parents finally let me watch The Godfather and I viewed the film three times over the course of a week. Gangster films are long, epic masterpieces that weave compelling tales out of despicable people and allow us to really be engaged by the story. That's why I get very excited whenever a new gangster film is set to hit theaters. Black Mass, the true story of Whitey Bulger, is debuting later this year and today, we finally got a trailer for the new film. Check it out below:


Black Mass could be a masterpiece. I'm calling that right now. I've watched the trailer a few times now, and once I got past the creepy blue contacts for Johnny Depp and the weird prosthetic makeup, I was able to get really pumped for this film. Now, the worst case scenario here is American Gangster (a film that I enjoy, but that I'm not overly fond of). This could be a bloated, slow gangster picture with a couple of good performances and a nice sense of atmosphere. It might not be able to carry the energy of a Scorsese pic or the intricate plot weave of The Godfather. However, this trailer did nothing but entice me. The performances look stunning (Depp looks appropriately terrifying), the cast is stacked and the intensity is off the charts. Black Mass could be the sleeper hit of the fall season and a major Oscar player next year. With a cast that includes Johnny Depp, Joel Edgerton, Dakota Johnson, Benedict Cumberbatch, Juno Temple, Corey Stoll, Kevin Bacon, Adam Scott, Jesse Plemons, Peter Sarsgaard and Julianne Nicholson, Black Mass is directed by Scott Cooper and will hit theaters on September 18, 2015. I'm all in for this one.

Comments