Ron Howard's 'In the Heart of the Sea' moves back to December 2015

I've been looking forward to Ron Howard's In the Heart of the Sea ever since it was announced. Howard's Rush was my favorite movie of 2013 and I was very excited to see how his next collaboration with star Chris Hemsworth would turn out. Mix that in with the stellar cast that includes acclaimed actors like Cillian Murphy, Brendan Gleeson and Ben Whishaw, along with a compelling story and some great visuals, and you have a film that I'm very excited to see (I placed it at #9 on my most anticipated list of 2015). However, it always seemed weird to me that the film was being released in March. This looked and sounded like a perfect Oscar flick. Granted, Rush wasn't much of a player last season, but still, it seemed like a good fit for a release later in the year. And now, it looks like that will be happening.

Yesterday, it was announced that Warner Bros. has moved In the Heart of the Sea from its original March 13 release date to December 11. The Liam Neeson thriller Run All Night will now be released on the date vacated by Howard's film. While many automatically assumed that the date was a great fit because of the Oscar season, I still think that it could move up. Currently, the film will debut a week before Sisters and Star Wars: Episode VII- The Force Awakens and two weeks before Joy and Mission: Impossible 5. While the December date might be a great fit for awards attention, Warner Bros. will have to move to another date if they want this film to be a blockbuster. We'll see what happens, but I think that this definitely solidifies In the Heart of the Sea as a major awards contender for next year.



Image Credits: Hey U Guys

Comments