Oscar winner Lupita Nyong'o and Gwendoline Christie join 'Star Wars: Episode VII'

After the massive casting announcement last month that revealed the principal cast members of Star Wars: Episode VII, Disney dropped another bomb on us today with the news that Lupita Nyong'o and Gwendoline Christie will be joining the cast of the film as well. Christie is one of the stars of HBO's Game of Thrones and will take on an undisclosed role, while Nyong'o won the Best Supporting Actress Oscar for 12 Years A Slave and will be also be playing an undetermined role. Nyong'o also had a role in this year's thriller Non-Stop and will also be in Jon Favreau's The Jungle Book.

For me, this is not surprising in the slightest. I was sure that Nyong'o would be joining the cast months ago and it's not a surprise to me at all. Christie is an actress that I'm unfamiliar with, but I'm glad to give anyone a chance. However, I'm really interested in seeing how Nyong'o does in this film. I'm not sure how large of a role that she will have in the film, but it will be a challenge for her. She was decent in 12 Years A Slave, but not Oscar-worthy. All in all, I'm excited to see how this turns out. Star Wars: Episode VII doesn't come out until December 2015, so I'm betting on at least one more casting announcement (Zac Efron is my bet). The film currently stars Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Max von Sydow, John Boyega, Andy Serkis, Domnhall Gleeson, Peter Mayhew, Kenny Baker, Lupita Nyong'o and Gwendoline Christie and will be released on December 18, 2015.



Comments