The Hunger Games: Mockingjay split into two parts

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay will be split in two. That news is really not surprising considering the fact that it was rumored before The Hunger Games even came out. But it is annoying. I love The Hunger Games books series and I enjoyed the movie, but there is absolutely no reason for this to be split in two. The book is about 400 pages, which is enough to fit into a two in a half to three hour movie. There is no reason that that can't happen. What we're gonna get is two movies that run for an hour and a half each. Unlike Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and maybe Twilight: Breaking Dawn (I don't know, I didn't read it), Mockingjay does not need to be split in two. If you need to have a three hour movie to cover enough source material, that is fine with me. And if you are Harry Potter and you have a five hour movie from source material, I will be glad to sit through that. But Mockingjay doesn't have enough! There is so little plot in the book as it is. And if you really need to have a Gone With The Wind-sized runtime, then do an intermission! It's simple. But the real reason for the split is not creative reasons, but it is money. Money.

All book adaptations are split in two nowadays and it is because they're an easy sell to the public. If I go out there and split a movie like Battleship in two, nobody goes to see it. Because unless it is something that you are really invested in, you're not gonna spend double the money for one movie. But with things like Twilight and Harry Potter and The Hobbit and The Hunger Games, you have people that are invested in the source material that will gladly pay to see one movie for the price of two. Because they care that much. But there are not really reasons to do it. Maybe it's also because Hollywood things that people are afraid to sit through long movies. I don't think that's the case. Avatar was 2 hours, 42 minutes. Titanic was 3 hours fifteen minutes. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King was 3 hours, 20 mins. The grosses for those movies: $2.78 B, $2.185 B, $1.119 B. People will sit through long movies. Mockingjay can easily fit in the three hour window. Look, I'm fine if you really need two movies. But this is where I draw the line. I'm gonna say this again: Mockingjay is not a five hour epic that needs two movies! I'm not a Tolkien fan, so I'm not questioning what Peter Jackson is doing with The Hobbit, but I think that splitting that book into two is too much. Another route Hollywood could take is what Jackson did with LOTR, where he put five hour extended editions on DVD. All in all, we don't need two Mockingjay movies. But I'll see them anyways. Part 1 opens on November 21, 2014 and Part 2 opens November 20, 2015.

Comments